Arts + Culture
With stunning heritage streetscapes and museums run by passionate people, to boutique + chic shopping precincts and galleries + studios, you’ll find yourself wishing you’d stayed another day. And if you really just want to sit back and have someone else do all the hard work, we can organise that too.
Oh, and we have markets (really good ones).
Potter around and find your favourite gallery or studio; you may like to purchase a piece or two from local artisans and artists to add to your collection. You’ll also find many local wineries and eateries embracing local art with pieces on display on walls or in their gardens.
It’s worth checking out our Town Walk Maps (you’ll find them in the town’s section in this guide) to absorb the heritage of our region. Don’t forget to take your camera, a selfie or two may well be in order (#mudgeeregion). When on holidays it’s comforting to know you can indulge without guilt, right? That’s why we know you won’t want to miss out on our fabulous boutique + chic shopping precinct. Perfect for the indulgent traveller, grab a coffee and go for a wander, you’ll be pleasantly surprised with what you’ll find. But sometimes you just want to kick back and have someone else do the work, or be your designated driver (it is a wine region after all). It’s a good thing we have a bunch of really talented and informative people on standby to do just that.
And a country town just isn’t a country town without markets to explore. Why not time your visit to coincide with one of our regular monthly markets and discover a range of stall holders to grab some locally grown produce, freshly made breads and cheeses, olive oil, handmade textiles, arts and crafts, jewellery, pre-loved books, clothes, knick-knacks and more.
The Mudgee Region is home to talented artists of all hues. And why wouldn’t it be, it truly is an inspiring setting. From felt to photography, paintings, sculpture, jewellery, textiles, metal work and woodwork, the variety and quality is quite astounding.
Your journey starts here…
- Visit one of the region’s galleries, a haven for potters, artists, tapestry workers, artisans and craftspeople alike; you may like to purchase a piece or two from local artisans and artists to add to your collection
- Take a stroll through Mudgee’s riverside Sculpture walk
- Potter around our boutique + chic shopping precinct and indulge in the region’s sophisticated café culture.
- Settle in at a cosy country pub, be comforted by an ice-cold beer and hearty pub grub, meet the locals and share stories. A country escape is simply incomplete without a pub stop (or a few) along the way.
- Release your creativity and join a local art and craft workshop
- Sit back + enjoy live music or a Sunday session