Gliding in a stable kayak on the pristine waters of the Cudgegong River is a stunning and relaxing way to experience the wonders of the breathtaking Wollemi National Park.
Southern Cross Kayaking offer guided tours through the spectacular World Heritage listed Wollemi landscape, providing a unique paddling experience and informative commentary on the fascinating natural and cultural history of the area and it's environmental significance. From the long history of habitation of the Wiradjuri people, to the first European settlement, the notorious 'lady bushranger' and the incredible tale of the building of the weir that formed the waterway as it exists today, there are stories of interest for everyone.
Alternatively, you can hire a kayak or paddle board and explore the area on your own - more details below.
Guided kayak tours
Cost: $50 per person + $1 booking fee per ticket. Cost Includes: Use of quality double sea kayaks, paddles and safety gear, Safety briefing, Paddling instruction and map, Use of dry bag for your camera.
Duration: 2 hours (we paddle to the dam wall, have a short walk and then paddle back to base)
What to bring: Shoes that can get wet, Sun protection (hat &/or sunscreen), Drinking water, Sense of fun and adventure .
Additional Details: Suitable for children 12 years and older and paddlers of all skill levels, boats are stable, ‘sit-in’ kayaks.
Meeting Place: Meet at the picnic area beside the boat ramp.
Weather: Tour will depart as scheduled except in extreme weather conditions of high wind or electrical storms. Southern Cross Kayaking will advise of any changes due to weather conditions at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled start time of your tour, or contact them on 0439 936 480 if in doubt.
For bookings and enquiries call 0439 936 480. Booking and payment will be accepted beforehand via direct bank deposit or credit card, however as there is no internet at the swamp, onsite payments are by cash only. Alternatively, you can purchase a ticket from the Mudgee Visitors Information Centre, open 7 days at 84 Market Street, Mudgee or book online.
Twilight Tours depart at 5pm on Fridays during daylight savings
Kayak + stand up paddle board hireStand up paddle boards + kayaks are also available to hire at Dunns Swamp Ganguddy on scheduled tour days (as above). See pricing below:
Single Kayak - $30 for 1 hour / $50 for 2 hours
No experience is necessary; all tours and hire include safety equipment, safety briefing, paddle instruction, a map and information on the area. The calm, protected environment means that conditions on the water are suitable for novice as well as experienced paddlers of both kayaks and stand up paddle boards.
BOOKINGS NOT REQUIRED FOR PADDLE BOARD + KAYAK HIRE
Location + directions
The meeting place for Guided Kayak Tours and Kayak Hire is in the Day Use Picnic Area at Ganguddy Campground in the spectacular Wollemi National Park, NSW.
Approximate travel time by car from:
Sydney CBD - 4 hours
Katoomba, Blue Mountains - 2.5 hours
Bathurst - 1.5 hours (via Sofala)
Mudgee - 1.5 hours (via Lue)
Southern Cross Kayaking and Dunns Swamp do appear on 'Google Maps', however not on all GPS car navigation systems, so please check before setting off, or follow these directions:
- From Sydney, Blue Mountains and Bathurst, turn off Castlereagh Highway just past Ilford to Kandos, then travel 7km to Rylstone. From Mudgee via the Lue Rd, turn right onto Bylong Valley way and travel 4km to Rylstone.
- Turn beside Rylstone Hospital (Fitzgerald St), and stay on this road, following the signs to Wollemi National Park.
- Distance from Rylstone is 25kms and takes approximately 25 minutes. The last 8km is a gravel road suitable for 2 wheel drive vehicles, but is narrow and winding in places, so please drive with care.
- You will cross a cattle grid beside a small hut (this is the last place for phone reception), continue on another 3kms and turn left at the sign to Ganguddy Campground.
- Upon entering the campground, continue straight ahead to the picnic area, Southern Cross Kayaking is located beside the boat ramp. If in doubt, give us a call – 0439 936 480.