Why visit Mudgee Region?
If you’ve been here already, you’ll know culinary passion runs deep, with Mudgee now a household name among foodies across Australia. And for those of you, who are yet to visit, allow us to set the scene. Mudgee has a rich pastoral history reflected in its heritage streetscapes which are wide and tree-lined, just as you would imagine a refined country town to look like.
From the fertile farmland surrounds comes great local produce available at cafés and restaurants in town, farm gate tours, cellar doors + epicurean outlets. With a continuous history of winemaking since the 1850s, Mudgee is the third largest grape-producing region in NSW. It’s from this rich source that our chefs + winemakers draw inspiration, certain to delight your palate
Many ‘tree changers’ now call Mudgee home, taking a slice of their city life and gently connecting it with the authenticity of the country. What this means to you, our guest, is that you have an abundance of sophisticated yet earthy experiences to indulge in. With a range of breathtaking natural attractions, delectable wine and scrumptious local produce, events to excite, an impressive boutique + chic shopping precinct, lush golf courses and picturesque streetscapes, it’s time you jumped in the car or hopped on a train or a plane to visit Mudgee. You won’t be disappointed.
And let’s face it, one visit just isn’t enough. You’ll be sure to impress your mates at your next dinner party when you expertly pair Mudgee produce with Mudgee wine, so you may just find yourself returning to restock sooner than you think.
Did you know?
- The name Mudgee is derived from the Wiradjuri term Moothi, meaning ‘Nest in the hills’.
- Mudgee is now recognised as an RV (recreational vehicle) friendly region. Learn more
Locals guide to Mudgee
- Swirl and sip your way across 40+ family owned cellar doors, a distillery, a brewery and a shrub tasting house
- Treat yourself to our famous (and delectable) local produce
- Meet local artisans at our monthly Farmer’s Markets, go on a Farm Walk tour
- Enjoy a long leisurely meal at one of our many cafés, pubs, restaurants and wine bars
- Absorb the heritage of our town by strolling the streets or at the local museum + art galleries (take a selfie or two)
- Indulge in a sophisticated café culture and boutique shopping precinct
- Embrace the romance of our region by hosting your next event or planning your perfect destination wedding