ROSBY ART WORKSHOP WITH JODY GRAHAM
Expressive Drawing Workshop @ Rosby
Mixed Media with Jody Graham
WHEN: 9.30am-4.00pm, Saturday 13 + Sunday 14 April 2019
WHERE: Rosby Mud Hut, 122 Strikes Lane, Eurunderee MUDGEE
COST: $220 per student. Includes complimentary lunch + Rosby Wines
TEACHER: Jody Graham
Be bold, be brave, be beautiful, be quiet, be soft, be dark, be hard, whatever you do be yourself!
Secure your place in this new and highly anticipated art adventure and prepare to unleash your creativity, freeing the artist within! Join Jody Graham on a two-day expressive drawing mixed media workshop exploring techniques to extend and develop your creative visual voice. Over the course of the weekend you’ll learn the art of self-expression as Jody helps you to loosen up and be yourself, allowing you to draw with more depth and meaning, and ultimately, to bring life and energy to your work.
The first day will involve making drawing tools to reconnect with the simple pleasure of making and drawing. These tools along with other drawing implements will be used to establish a connection with your artistic voice and what inspires you from the surrounding estate of Rosby. Day one is dedicated to learning new approaches in observation, drawing and mixed media. Day two will focus on developing skills from day one into unique expressive sensitive works. This workshop has been carefully curated to ensure the experience is a truly unique and immersive one, one that challenges convention and leaves you feeling inspired to push yourself creatively.
Coinciding with the most magical time of year to visit Mudgee, and ‘The End Festival’ in nearby art hub, Hill End, this workshop offers the ultimate art and wine experience.
Jody Graham was carefully handpicked by the team at Rosby. She is a highly experienced and accomplished artist, whose work encompasses drawing, mixed media, sculpture, performance and installation. Her work celebrates the broken, displaced and forgotten and speaks to her long-nurtured compulsion to restore and rescue with an anti-consumerist, re-use and re-cycle ethos across her practice.
About the tutor
Drawing is at the core of everything Jody does. She’s been a finalist in a number of major drawing collections including the Kedumba, Dobell, Rick Amor and Adelaide Perry prizes. She’s also had an extensive history participating in other awards, residencies, and public commissions, including Sculptures at Scenic World, and the Paddington and Parliament painting awards. She was the winner of the Greenway Prize in 2017, and resident artist with Grafton regional gallery in 2018. She has been exhibiting nationally and internationally in solo and group exhibitions for the past 10 years.
Jody brings with her a wealth of knowledge and offers an exceptional learning environment. Her passion for the arts is contagious and her determination to impart knowledge in an engaging, fun, interactive and supportive setting sets her apart.
Jody has a Masters of Art from UNSW Art and Design and is represented by Lost Bear Gallery and M. Contemporary.
List of materials required to bring:
· Easel & large drawing board (drawing board to accommodate size of drawing pad)
· A1 cartridge pad *Optional – better quality paper (An example being - Saunders Waterford Watercolour paper 300gsm – medium cold pressed or similar)
· Compressed charcoal
· A few coloured pastels, including white
· Large Hard eraser – (suggest Sennelier Giant Soap Eraser)
· Inks, black or sepia. (50ml Art Spectrum or similar adequate) *Optional - other colours of your choice
· Acrylics, a few colours of your choice
· Gesso – inexpensive 250ml adequate
· Artist binder medium or glue for collage (suggest Global or Atelier Binder Medium or Derivan Matisse Polymer satin or Matt Varnish) and old brush to use with glue medium.
· Palettes and containers for ink, paint etc.
· Large area soft wash brushes (suggest cheap packet - set of 3 - 1’’ 2’’ & 3’’)
· Masking tape, scissors, bulldog clips, Cutting Knife, Large metal ruler, paper towel, disposal gloves, tennis ball
· Some yarn/string and or few old rags for binding drawing tools
· Notepad and pencil/pen
All of the above materials list will be available for purchase at the workshop.
Additional; Easels & stools are provided, but if you have a special seat then bring that. If you have your own portable (collapsible) side table that may help also. Drink bottle, hat & sunscreen. We will be working under cover, but partly outdoors.